Valley Youth’s Young People’s Committee invite you to take part in a visual an art competition, to celebrate International Women’s Day in 2019.
The theme is “International Women’s Day: More Powerful Together", based in the UN Women’s theme for this International Women’s Day 2019.
With great prizes and opportunities for exposure, this is a great opportunity to be recognised for your artwork!
The competition opens on Monday 11 February 2019 and closes Monday 4 March at 5pm.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We welcome young people to interpret the theme however they choose, in a way that celebrates women and girls around the world.
The type of art we are looking for is:
- Paintings and drawings
- Graphic art
Written words can be incorporated into artworks, however the competition is a visual arts one, not a writing competition. Videos, sculptures and other forms of art will not be accepted for entry.
CAN I ENTER?
The competition is open to young people:
- Of any gender
- Aged 12 to 25, and
- Who live, work, study or hang out in Moonee Valley
HOW IS IT JUDGED?
The winning artists will be judged by members of Valley Youth’s Young People’s Committee and a local artist or artists (to be announced soon!)
We will be judging images based on:
- How well it relates to/interprets the theme "International Women's Day: More Powerful Together"
- Originality and creativity
The winner will be announced at the International Women’s Day Mayor’s Breakfast in Moonee Ponds, via phone, and on Valley Youth’s Facebook and Instagram pages, on Thursday 7 March 2019.
WHAT CAN I WIN?
The winning artist, or artists, will have their work presented to the Mayor of Moonee Valley at the International Women’s Day Mayor’s Breakfast in Moonee Ponds on Thursday 7 March 2019.
They will also win:
- A double movie pass
- An art workshop with a local artist during the April school holidays
- An opportunity to be exhibited in Moonee Valley in 2019
The winner/s will be presented with their award at the Valley Youth Week Carnival on Thursday 11 April 2019.
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY ENTRY?
Valley Youth needs to have received your entry, and a completed entry form, by Monday 4 March 2019 at 5pm.
You can submit your entry in three ways:
- Email it: If it’s in a digital format and under 5MB, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a completed entry form.
- Give it to us: Drop off your artwork to -
- The Valley Youth offices at Level 1, 641 Mt Alexander Rd, Moonee Ponds anytime between the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Valley Youth Space, 3 Matthews Ave, Niddrie on Friday 22 February between 4pm and 6pm.
- Sam Merrifield Library, Meeting Room 3, 762 Mt Alexander Rd, Moonee Ponds on Wednesday 27 February between 6pm and 7:30pm.
- Flemington Community Centre, 25 Mt Alexander Rd, Flemington on Thursday 28 February between 5:30-7:30pm.
- Post it: To Moonee Valley City Council, PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds VIC 3039. Please post it by 6pm Wednesday 27 February to ensure it reaches us in time.
Download the entry form here: Entry Form
TERMS AND CONDITIONS (Boring but important!)
- Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.
- Entries must be entirely your own original work and must not breach any copyright or third party rights. Valley Youth and Moonee Valley City Council will not be made partially or fully liable for any non-original work submitted by you.
- Artworks of a discriminatory, explicit or defamatory nature are not suitable for this competition and will not be considered.
- Valley Youth and Moonee Valley City Council have the right to use your artwork for any promotion, including (but not limited to) social media, reports, advertisements, broadcast, exhibition and other media, without compensation.
- You’re not entitled to any compensation or consideration for this usage, but Valley Youth and Moonee Valley City Council will endeavour to credit you in all opportunities.
- Artworks must be appropriately packaged for drop off to the space. Please make sure all works are completely covered and any fragile pieces are wrapped in padding and marked fragile.
- While all reasonable care will be taken, Valley Youth and Moonee Valley City Council is not responsible for any lost, late, misdirected or damaged entries.
- Entries will not be returned, so please remember to keep a copy.
- Current members of Valley Youth Young People’s Committee are not permitted to enter.
- Valley Youth’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred or transferred.
- Entrants must supply full details as required, and comply with all rules to be eligible for the prize. No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
- Valley Youth and Moonee Valley City Council reserves the right to cancel this contest at any stage, or change any of the rules or procedures if deemed necessary in its opinion, or if circumstances arise outside its control.